Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Faithful Furry Friend


Do you have a "faithful furry friend"? If you do, you are very lucky. If you don't, you don't know what you're missing.

Pets have a way of creeping into our hearts whether we want them to or not. And once you let them in, they change your life. They don't ask for much -- just food, water, shelter, and love. And what they give in return is totally amazing!! They never complain, never question. They are always there offering comfort, companionship, and warmth. They show concern when you don't feel well, or are depressed. They are playful and upbeat when you are happy. They often tolerate the attention of little children, even when that attention is a little rough or annoying. They become part of the family and when they leave us, we feel their loss almost as deeply as if they were human.

I have always had dogs. And when the last one died, I swore no more pets. Then my son came home from FL and brought his cat. Her name is Cleo. She looks a little odd -- her face has a dividing line down the center and her coloring is light on one side and darker on the other. She slowly crept into my life, and eventually became "my" cat. When Aaron moved out, she stayed. Not only did she take up residence on my lap when I was watching TV, she became my "assistant tutor", perching on my printer when I was working online with Smarthinking in the evenings. She soon found her way into my bed, sleeping either against my back or laying on my arm. She added comfort when we lost Gram. She made the very long trip to TX with me. She still offers me comfort and companionship, still sleeps beside me, and still lays on the desk, either on my arm or on the keyboard when I'm on the computer. There are days when I feel like she is the only one who cares, the only one who loves me. I know that's not true, but you know what those times are like I'm sure. She doesn't care if I have a job or not, she doesn't care if we have our own "home", she doesn't care about anything except the fact that we are together and have each other. The point is, there are no limits on her feelings, no boundaries on her love. I wonder sometimes why people can't be that way. How different the world would be!

I don't know if animals "go to Heaven" when they leave us -- I hope they do, or at least I hope there is a place like that for them. They deserve it.

If you have a "Cleo", good for you! If not, try it -- you'll like it!

No comments: