Monday, February 1, 2010

Progress!

Well, today I ventured out on my own and got the truck inspected, got it registered/licensed, and got my Texas driver's license. That might not sound like a big deal, but each thing had to be done at a different place!! I had to go about 9 miles one way to get the truck inspected. Then I had to go about 10 miles another way to get the registration done and get my new license plates. Then back toward home about 8 miles to get my driver's license. AND I DID IT ALL ON MY OWN with my little Google maps and my trusty GPS. Altogether took me about 3 hours and cost me $250!! (That's not counting gas.)

They told me things were bigger in Texas and they aren't kidding -- the fees for everything are way above what they are in VA. There is no state income tax here though so they have to make revenue somehow.

The day actually went kind of like this:
1 -- go to storage place, pay Feb. rent on it and look for lock box containing birth certificate. (Since I wasn't inside when the nice men put everything in there, I wasn't even sure where to look for the box! Thank goodness it only took me about 15 minutes to find it -- someone was looking over my shoulder on that one!)
2 -- go to bank and get cash. The tax (registration) office and DMV won't take debit cards, you need cash or a check -- and they won't take a check without a TX driver's license, which, by the way, you can't get until you have your proof of inspection and your registration!! DUH!!
3 -- get truck inspected ($40) after showing proof of insurance (thank goodness it passed!)
4 -- take inspection receipt, old registration, and proof of insurance to tax office and get truck registered and get new license plates (I just got regular ones -- at $180 for "ordinary", I was afraid to ask for "vanity" plates!)
5 -- take proof of insurance, registration receipt, VA driver's license, social security card, and birth certificate to DMV and get TX driver's license (which will be here in 3-4 weeks)($25)
6 -- stop at WalMart on way home and pick up tums and benadryl for heartburn and sinus headache! (Just kidding -- I did do that but the heartburn and sinus headache aren't new. That was yesterday!)

Actually I'm kind of amazed it only took 3 hours!!

The best part though, was that I did it all on my own, so I guess that just goes to prove what Janie and Kyle said -- I CAN find my way around if I just take my time and use the "tools" available to me like Google maps and the GPS. I knew that GPS would come in handy for me here!!

It was a good day today!

No comments: